Focaccia Pizza Squares and Oatmeal Cookies
Looking for an exciting lunch to pack for the kids this week. Try these two recipes for a great alternative to the ham sandwich.
Focaccia Pizza Squares
Focaccia is a type of Italian flatbread that is widely available in grocery stores today. It makes an ideal base for various toppings, and an easy pizza lunch or snack.
• Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
• Large baking pan
1 focaccia or Italian-style flatbread 1 (about 14 oz/400 g)
1 can (71?2 oz/213 mL) tomato sauce 1
1?2 tsp dried basil 2 mL
1?2 tsp dried oregano 2 mL
1?2 cup finely minced ham 125 mL
1?4 cup diced green or red bell pepper 60 mL
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 250 mL
1. Place flatbread on baking pan. In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Spread sauce mixture evenly over bread. Sprinkle with ham, green pepper and cheese.
2. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese has melted. Remove from oven and cut into 36 small pieces.
Oatmeal Cereal Cookies
• Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
• Baking sheets, lined with parchment paper or greased
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 250 mL
1 cup all-purpose flour 250 mL
1?2 tsp baking powder 2 mL
1?2 tsp baking soda 2 mL
1?2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 mL
1?4 tsp salt 1 mL
2?3 cup butter, softened 150 mL
2?3 cup packed brown sugar 150 mL
1 egg 1
1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
1 cup dried fruit, such as blueberries, 250 mL cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots
1 cup crisp rice cereal 250 mL
1 cup bran flakes cereal 250 mL
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in oats mixture until blended. Stir in dried fruit, rice cereal and bran cereal.
3. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto prepared baking sheets, at least 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until golden with crispy edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Adding cereal to cookies gives them a nice crunch.
Replace 1?3 cup (75 mL) of the dried fruit with semisweet chocolate chips.
Recipes compliments of: Better Food for Kids